After you have filled the form and clicked on the Submit button, Please call us for any assistance. ChuzDr Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. helps us get these discounts for needy patients
Madat Trust / Cope With Cancer has made a special arrangement for discounts in MRI Scan Cost Across India (around 30%) on investigations with quality private medical service providers.
What is a MRI Test?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan utilizes strong magnetic fields and radio frequency waves to generate detailed cross-sectional images of a patient’s internal organs of the body. Also, it does not involve the use of radioactive material or x-rays. This makes the technique ideal for screening and determining very early stages of certain diseases such as cancer, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease.
It is also very useful for diagnosis of injuries in the brain, spine, tissues and organs of the body.
An MRI Scan differs from CT scans and X-ray scans because MRI scans do not make use of ionizing radiation which can be potentially harmful to the body.
MRI Scan Machine
What are the uses of MRI Scans?
- Shows abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord.
- To view tumours, cysts and other abnormalities in various parts of the body.
- Injuries and abnormality of the joints
- Heart problems
- Certain diseases
- Causes of pelvic pain in women
- Other uterine abnormalities in women
How to prepare for an MRI Scan?
- Before the MRI scan, eat and take usual medications otherwise instructed.
- The hospital staff will instruct you to wear loose clothes without metal fasteners. If not, then you need to change in to hospital gown.
- You need to remove wigs, dentures, hearing aids, glasses etc. before the test. Metal objects may interfere with the magnetic field during exam and may affect the quality of images.
- Tell the technologist if you are pregnant.
- The magnetic field may damage electronic items. Tell the technologist if you have the following items:
- Prosthetic joints
- Pacemaker or artificial heart valve
- Implanted venous access device
- Inner ear implants
- Spinal stimulator
- Intrauterine device (IUD)
- Metal plates, pins, screws, staples or bullets/shrapnel
- Tattoos or permanent make-up
- Anxiety in confined spaces (claustrophobia)
Some MRI scans involve injection of contrast dye. This makes certain tissues and blood vessels show up more clearly. Although it is possible for a contrast dye to cause tissue damage in people suffering from severe kidney problems.
Let the staff know if you have a history of allergy or any blood clotting problems.
During the MRI scan:
On arrival at the hospital, the hospital staff may ask you to change in to hospital gown.
The nurse might inject intravenous (IV) contrast liquid to improve the appearance of certain body tissues.
A MRI has a large cylindrical magnet with a central opening. Also, a sliding table rests in the opening. You will needed to lie flat on the table comfortably.
The table will slide into the opening. The technologist will be in the adjoining room, but they can see and hear you, and will communicate with you.
During the exam, you need to remain still as any movement may blur the image.
The process takes about 30-45 minutes.
After the MRI scan:
The radiologist will examine the images to check if they require any further images. You can go home once the radiologist say so.
The radiologist prepares a report for the doctor. It usually takes a day or so to interpret, make report and deliver the results. The doctor will show you the reports on the next appointment.
MRI Scan Machine
(Image credits: shutterstock.com)
Types of MRI SCANs:
- Open MRI: For patients who may feel uncomfortable in enclosed spaces, this is a very convenient option. Open MRI has wider bore diameter or is open on the sides. But the MRI image is less clear.
- 3 Tesla MRI: This type of closed MRI uses magnetic field that have double the strength of a traditional MRI machine. Thus produces more clear and detail images. Commonly useful to identify the signs of strokes, tumours in the brain. Also examines heart and circulatory systems for any damage.
How does an MRI scanner work?
- An MRI scanner contains two powerful magnets.
- The human body is largely made of water molecules which contains hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Also, at the center of each atom lies a proton which serves as a magnet and is sensitive to any magnetic field.
- The water molecules are randomly arranged, but on entering the MRI scanner, they align in one direction.
- The second magnetic field then turns on and off in a series of quick pulses. This causes each hydrogen atom to alter its alignment and then quickly switch back to its original relaxed state.
- The passing electricity through gradient coils creates a magnetic field. This also causes the coil to vibrate, which therefore results in knocking sounds inside the scanner.
- Although the patient cannot feel these changes, the scanner can detect them.
- It creates detailed cross-sectional images.
Benefits of MRI scan:
The MRI scan can take images of any part of body in any imaging direction.
MRI provides better soft tissue contrast than CT and can differentiate between fat, water, muscle and other soft tissue.
Also, these images provide information to the physicians and are useful in diagnosis of a wide variety of diseases and conditions.
Risks of the scan:
MRI is a painless radiology technique. It has no known side effects.
Patients who have any metallic materials within their body must notify the physician as they can distort the images.
Patients who have pacemakers, metal implants, or metal chips around should not undergo MRI scan.
During the scan, the patient lies in the an enclosed area. Therefore, some patients can experience a claustrophobic sensation during the procedure.
MRI SCAN Cost considerations
MRI Scan costs are high for a number of reasons. The machines come in a variety of sizes and powers. Their imaging power is measured in magnetic field strength units called Teslas; low-field or open MRI machines measure 0.2 to 0.3, while the strongest currently on the market are 3 Teslas. The higher the tesla, the higher the cost.
The room that houses the machine, called an MRI suite, can cost a lot. Safety features must be built in to protect those inside, and right outside from the magnetic field. Add in patient support areas and installation costs.
The cost of Doctors and Hospitals.
Charges for a single MRI scan cost vary widely across the country for reasons beyond infrastructure costs.
You will need to pay an additional cost for a radiologist to read the MRI. Additionally, your ordering physician may ask for the MRI to be done with or without contrast dye, or both. This “dye” is actually a para-magnetic liquid that responds to the machine’s magnet and helps enhance certain abnormalities on the scan that would not have otherwise been visible, common in neurological MRI’s.
This means that in addition to cost of the scan, your total bill for the MRI will include the radiologist fee, the contrast dyes, and the cost of the procedure itself.
Here you can find MRI scan costs across India click here