How to help in the treatment Planning
A friendly relation with your doctor to make decision about your cancer treatment may make you feel more confident as you begin your cancer treatment. A plan well made will help you in making treatment choices, controlling stress, knowing what to expect and informing everyone of the decision made.
While planning for treatment please keep these points in mind:
- Do not be in a great hurry to start treatment.
- Discuss options with your dear ones before choosing the doctor for your treatment.
- If required go to more than one doctor for an opinion.
- Choose a doctor and his team based on how comfortable you are with the doctor and the set up. Remember you will be interacting with them for a long time.
- Cancer Stage
- Location of the tumor
- Cost of Treatments
- Side effects of the treatment
- Gather all the information on the treatments options available
- Time required for treatment
- Consider how treatment will affect your everyday life – work or any other responsibility.
- Make it a team effort – Surgeons, Radiation Oncologists, Primary care doctors, nurses , other health experts.
- Be realistic on how comfortable you are with your doctor to listen on your survival chances
- Accept help when required
- Maintain a file for your medical records
- Be focused on your goal
How to help someone with Cancer
How to break the News
How to talk to the Patient
Caring for someone at Home
How to involve everyone and get support
Understand what the person is facing
Care Towards the End
How to take care of yourself