What are the precautions one needs to take to prevent oneself from being afflicted by cancer?
- Don’t use tobacco
- Eat a healthy diet
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Limit use of fat in diet
- If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation
- Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active
- Protect yourself from the sun
- Get immunized
- Cancer prevention includes protection from certain viral infections like Hepatitis B & Human papilloma virus (HPV)
- Avoid risky behaviour like unsafe sex and sharing needles.
- Get regular self-exams and screenings for various types of cancers — such as cancer of the skin, colon, prostate, cervix and breast. This can increase the chances of discovering cancer early, when treatment is most likely to be successful.